Be ready to invoke the imaginary, provoke the senses and evoke the emotions of millions of people around the world.
Reporting to the Technical Director and working under the supervision of the Head Carpenter, the Swing Technicians are vital members of the technical team. A dynamic and fast-paced role, you will be required to work closely with the many technical departments that collaborate to make Cirque du Soleil’s world class performances. In addition to working on regular performances, the Swing Technician is also integrally involved in the Set Up & Tear Down of the Big Top.
You will be required to:
- Participate in setup and tear-down as a Show Carpenter and/or general technician.
- Lead a team of Cirque staff and local crew to independently execute certain steps involved in the setup and dismantling of technical equipment and set elements;
- Ensure the safety of installations at all times;
- Work on a rotating schedule with other Swing Technicians as: stagehand, rigger, stage carpenter, follow spot operator, automation system operator, sound operator or lighting console operator;
- Assist with maintenance of all technical equipment;
- Follow and support the equipment and inventory management procedures and requirements as required by Cirque du Soleil. -Utilize the tools and procedures provided by IHQ to maintain inventory and equipment data. Follow the requirements detailed for customs and logistics with regards to the transport of material with touring productions;
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of three years' experience in the entertainment industry, including experience as stage carpenter, stagehand and lighting technician;
- College diploma (or equivalent) in live entertainment or theater production (or equivalent work experience);
- Good general understanding of all technical aspects of a show an asset;
- Knowledge of Microsoft software for Windows;
- Personnel management experience an asset;
- Flexible, autonomous & also team-spirited;
- Good communication skills;
- Ability to handle contingencies and work well under pressure;
- Fluency in spoken and written English essential, fluency in French an asset;
- Available to tour full time and to work in foreign countries.